Skip to main content

My Earliest Memory of a BEGGAR (and Howrah Station)

   
No, I am not obsessed with beggars. While posting the previous article on beggars I recalled this great incident.

An incident does not need to be great on its own, the greatness of an incident depends on the observer's experience. And the incidents you remember from your childhood are always the greatest. In childhood every small incident seems so unique, everything fosters your curiosity, everything is so special. But very few of people are lucky enough to recall many of those experiences for long.

I consider myself among those lucky people.

This incident of a beggar is always been a great deal to me, it is one of my earliest memories and the first memory of a beggar. Not only that, this incident is also my first memory of Howrah Station, a beautiful huge station on the bank of Hooghly River near Kolkata. So, obviously, it had to be special.

I love Howrah Station very much (from the outside)
Howrah Station in the bank River Hooghly
Image Source

But the inside of it is a mess, this huge complex is densely crowded.
   

I know crowded places scare the shit out of many of you, but they are not that bad when you are very young. Even it is very stimulating for a child, as there are lots of things going on to be curious about.

In such a crowded platform of Howrah station, I found this beggar.

He was skinny, hungry, he looked miserable. He was wearing a torn and dirty vest and shorts or something I don't correctly remember. There was partially crumbled bowl on his hand, 2 or 3 puris and a couple of coins on his bowl.

The man was literally on his chest, crawling and dragging himself all over the floor. Staring at everyone with his poor yellow eyes as if he would start crying if the person denied to give him anything. And the children there in the platform had to face even worse, he was giving them much emotional treatment. I have no idea what he was expecting from the children.

I took so pity on him, I was so emotional that I started thinking to lie down on the ground beside him and help him begging more efficiently, as I knew my parents were not gonna help him as they were busy in talking with my uncle.

Fortunately, I did not have to do that and feel embarrassed whole my life.

A policeman arrived immediately, with a cane in his hand, shouting at him. The very next moment he heared the police, he jumped up and stood on his foot so quickly, that I couldn't even see his transition from sleeping position to standing. No, I was not distracted by something else, all the time eyes were stuck at him. Right after his sleeping position, I saw him standing, not a single frame of the transition whatsoever.

He at first were stuck in traffic and started screaming in panic, then managed way and just run away through the traffic.

I was so pissed of by the event! I was more angry at the policeman, I was enjoying being sad but the police made me think meself a stupid.


Even now I remember how he was crawling, and I cringe of thinking that how stupid I was back then to think the man was in so much misery that he can't even walk. Even from my faded memory now I can say he was over acting. Have you ever seen a man so weak that he can't even sit, lies down completely dragging himself all over the floor? It would consume much more energy than even running? And now I am certain that the way he started screaming when he saw the police, he was not actually panicing, the freak was trying make people feel bad about him and angry at the police for driving the poor man.

Anyway I loved the beggar, and still I like to recall the way he was crawling. It gave me some content to think on.

Here are some more beautiful photos of Howrah.
Howrah Station and Howrah bridge
Station at the right and Howrah Bridge at the left


Beautiful Howrah Bridge at night
Beautiful Howrah Bridge at night

Taxis queued outside Howrah Station

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beggars

This is a thought I had two days ago (18th June). Not very special yet I had to share it because I have found that blogging is one easiest way to feel little productive and less bad about myself. I jotted down the whole thought with some random words so that I do not forget it. But writing everything properly is not so pleasing. I get distracted by anything in the world and postpone the whole thing. Well, the point of writing this paragraph is to tell you that this time I got distracted with something good, I discovered that one of the best sitcoms Mind Your Language is available on YouTube . Let's move to the actual thought I had. Again this is just a thought of mine, and I am no expert in here. You can read this article on whether you should help beggars or not, I found in quick Google search. All it started when I saw a Muslim beggar asking for some food when I was collecting my lunch from the mess, I could not give him as I was not the owner. Though I could give min

See buddies, what I have found

I found the hilarious television show Mind Your language, available on Youtube. I knew about this one of the funniest sitcoms but never had the privilege to watch it. Getting bored of writing the previous article on beggars , I started surfing Facebook though I was not liking it, exactly what all lazy procrastinators do. While browsing Facebook I found a small clip of this show and that made me want to check if it is available somewhere online. I hid to YouTube and Santa Maira! I found it. All of it. I mean all the episodes. I started watching and couldn't stop myself from watching it the whole night, till I finished the last episode of the first season at 6:37 in the morning, it is such a great show (Well, I do the same for every show I start watching). Links to the show: I have found it in several places, I am sharing all so that if some episode is missing you can find it on other places mentioned here. Some have better quality than others. Youtube:   1. Season 1

I almost got a Heart Attack

Today I almost got a heart attack. I  took my laptop from the shelf and left it on my bed. Then I went to switch the router on or something else I do not exactly remember. That shouldn't have taken me more than 5 secs after I kept that lappy on my bed, but by that time I completely forgot about that. I stretched my arm towards the shelf where I keep my lappy. I was not looking at it because my eyes were busy with something else (I always overestimate my brains capacity for multi-tasking). No, my hand didn't bump up on something else, they reached the exact location where I keep my lappy, but it was not there. I felt an abrupt occurrence of a void inside me. It was there for not more than a minute but it was so huge that I couldn't even breath. I felt a lack of oxygen in my blood, A cold wave went from top to bottom of my body. And, stupid me, was looking for it frantically everywhere else but my bed, I was searching for it so madly as if there wasn't mu